Sunday, August 4, 2013

"Jazz Trains" in perspective


I love New York City!   Born in Brooklyn, New York I spent 11 short years there before moving to Las Vegas.  The city is so rich in culture and the arts! Being that I am a New Yorker and will always be one no matter what- teaching on Harlem Renaissance comes natural to me.
I start with a discussion on how my students live in Las Vegas -vs- New York City.  I show a presentation on Harlem city life in the 1920's, define "Renaissance" and listen to Duke Ellington! Being that I teach this movement to several grades I will show you the various grade level projects.  The first is "Jazz Train" in perspective taught to 3rd grade art students.  For this project, Romare (Romy) Bearden's artwork is shown.  We talk about how he would draw inspiration from the sound and movement of the train behind his house.  Many Harlem Renaissance jazz artists also drew inspiration from the movement and sound of the train. The "train" or railroad is very significant in the Harlem Renaissance movement as it signifies movement from the South to the East creating a new free life! If time allows I will show them,"Visual Jazz" a movie on Romy Bearden. 
My students really enjoy learning about this movement and especially love listening to the jazz music while creating their train!











No comments:

Post a Comment