Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"JaZZ Trains"

I love New York City! Born in Brooklyn, New York I spent 10 short years there before moving to Las Vegas.  The city is so rich in culture and the arts!  Being that I am a New Yorker  (and will always be) teaching on the Harlem Renaissance Movement comes natural to me.
I start with a discussion on how my students live in Las Vegas -vs- New Yorkers.  A presentation on Harlem city life in the 1920's is shown.  Renaissance-a movement or period of vigorous artistic and intellectual activity (defined by Merriam Webster's Dictionary) is discussed.  Jazz Music by Duke Ellington is played.  Being that I teach this movement to several grades, I will show you various grade level projects.  
The first is ,"JaZZ Trains" drawn in perspective taught to my 3rd grade art students. For this project, Romare (Romy) Bearden's artwork is shown.  If time permits, I will show," Visual Jazz" an art film about Romy Bearden, jazz music and Faith Ringgold.  
The students are taught about the inspiration behind Romy Bearden's artwork.  Romy Bearden drew inspiration early on from a train that would pass behind his home.  His artwork reflects the movement and sound of the trains. The "Train" & "Railroad" is very significant in the Harlem Renaissance movement as it signified FREEDOM.
My students really enjoy learning about this movement and listening to jazz music while creating their train.





































































No comments:

Post a Comment